(Photo by WikiJournal of Medicine/Medical gallery of Blausen Medical 2014)
There are many benefits of breathing using a diaphragm that is also called belly breathing, abdominal breathing.
Diaphragm is a big flat muscle which separates chest cavity and abdomen and it moves up and down pushing the air out especially as you sing or meditate or answer the call of nature. By breathing with using the diaphragm and focusing on the abdomen can improve your health and prevent illnesses free of cost. You just need to relearn how to breathe using the diaphragm.
We are all born with the capacity of deep diaphragmatic breathing if you were a healthy child, but as we get older because of stress, pollution, smoking, junk foods, illness, unhealthy life style , etc., we start to breathe using the chest that is shallow and tense way to breathe.
11 benefits of Deep Diaphragmatic Breathing
Deep diaphragmatic breathing is a fundamental element for a singer who uses her/his body as a part of a musical instrument. In other words diaphragmatic breathing is essential to singing.
So here are several benefits of diaphragm/belly breathing. 11 benefits of Deep Diaphragmatic Breathing
1. Diaphragmatic breathing maximizes oxygen and carbon dioxide supply.; Air you breathe in is made of only 21% of oxygen. And the rest is filled with 78% of nitrogen, about 1% of carbon dioxide/CO2, methane, helium, other gases & also dust, microbes, spores from plants and water!
2. belly breathing makes your lungs & heart stronger.
3. Abdominal breathing makes your posture better.
4. Diaphragmatic breathing helps the nervous system to improve.
5. Belly breathing improves your feelings & emotions by producing serotonin, the happy hormone.
6. Abdominal breathing changes brain waves from beta waves of restlessness, anxiety, stress, and tension to alpha waves of relaxation, creativity, peacefulness, and well-being.
7. Diaphragmatic breathing releases tension and stress by lowering cortisol, the stress hormone.
8. Belly breathing builds muscles.
9. Abdominal breathing makes you relax and help you clear your mind.
10. Diaphragmatic breathing elevates your energy.
11. Deep belly breathing makes the immune system stronger.
So learn to breathe with the diaphragm and singing is a great way to strengthen your diaphragm, a great way to keep you healthy & happy!
In the next article you'll be learning '10 Benefits of Music'! See you Soon~ :)
Leave a comment